St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church
St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church is the center of community life for Elmira’s Ukrainian community. Established in 1895, St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church’s original location was at West 14th St. and Parkwood Avenue. In 1958, the church relocated to its present-day location at McCanns Boulevard. Beginning in 1956, the women in the parish began making homemade pyrohy in order to cover the debts of constructing a new church. Since then, the “pyrohy team” has sustained the church financially through pyrohy and halupki sales. The “pyrohy team” spans generations, and welcomes participation from outside the parish. In the following video, hear church historian, Maria L’Amroix talk about the parish’s bustling years, how the team continues to keep the church thriving in a time when many local congregations are consolidating, and what makes their pyrohy the best is New York State!
Call 607.734.2232 to order your own pyrohy and for information regarding pick-up days and times. More information about the parish is available at